S.S. Pop - Uzhgorod National University, Uzhgorod;
I.S. Sharodi - Uzhgorod National University, Uzhgorod;
Yu.V. Sharodi - Uzhgorod National University, Uzhgorod;
A.V. Ganzel - Energy Company “Rener”, Uzhgorod.
The history of hydropower development in Transcarpathian region has been described in the article, the territory hydro network details and water resources potential have been characterized. Transcarpathian region accounts for about 6% of Ukraine surface runoff and a quarter of potential hydropower (10.2 Billion kWh per year). According to Ukraine’s Energy Strategy and Transcarpathian region energy provision programme, great importance is given to the development of small hydropower. Today the region produces electricity at three previously built and four new private MHES (they produce only 8% of total electricity consumption in the region). The article outlined the main problems of Transcarpathian region hydropower potential development due to necessity to take into account the territory seismicity, hydrological regime and operation of hydroelectric derivative features and economic feasibility and ecological safety. The problems of small hydropower which require solution at the state level have been formulated.
hydropower, small hydropower, renewable energy resources, Transcarpathian region
1. Kyrylenko O.V., Denysiuk S.P., Yerlinyekov S.N. et al. (2006). Atlas of economically feasible and technically grounded hydropower potential of the Carpathian region rivers. Kyiv: NAS of Ukraine. [in Ukrainian].
2. Arkhipova L.M. (2012). Scientific and methodological fundamentals of environmental and technical safety of Carpathian region surface hydro ecosystems. Doctor of Science Thesis. Ivano-Frankivsk. [in Ukrainian].
3. Vasko P.F. (2010). Small hydropower: global development trends and Ukrainian prospects. Electropanorama, 3. [in Ukrainian].
4. Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period till 2030 (2006). Kyiv: Minpalyvenergo of Ukraine. [in Ukrainian].
9. Malosh B.V. (2010). Small hydropower as a promising area of alternative energy development at the regional level. Scientific Bulletin of the Uzhgorod National University. Economy. Vol. 30, 123-130. Uzhgorod. [in Ukrainian].