P.V. Glibchuk - Institute of Geography of the Ukraine National Academy of Sciences, Kyiv.
The importance of mapping method to determine the stages of urban settlements formation in Ukraine has been grounded. The analysis of relevant cartographic works has been performed and the method of their use to explore settlement network transformation in Ukraine has been developed. The main stages according to this method - selection of the object and its features to be investigated, establishing the time frame within which the study of the selected object will be performed, selection of different cartographic works where the object of research is presented, analysis of cartographic works, identification of the characteristics of the selected for study object’s development and, if necessary, - construction of cartographic models. Along with importance of the general geographic maps from different time, the role of thematic maps in this process has been emphasized, as well as electronic mapping resources.
city, urban settlements network, cartographic work, atlas, general geographic maps
1. Teacher's Atlas. J. Bonk, I. Drogushevska, I. Yevropina et al. (2010). Kyiv: DNVP Cartography. [in Ukrainian].
2. Boplan G. (1998). Description of Ukraine. Tran. from Fr., notations and preface V. Kosyk. Lviv: SPE Meta. [in Ukrainian].
3. Vavrychyn M., Dashkevych Ya., Kryshtalovych U. (2009). Ukraine on Ancient Maps: middle XVII - second half of the XVIII century. Kyiv: DNVP Cartographia. [in Ukrainian].
4. Vavrychyn M., Dashkevych Ya., Kryshtalowych U. (2006). Ukraine on Ancient Maps: end XV - the first half of the XVII century. Kyiv: DNVP Cartographia. [in Ukrainian].
5. Veklych L.M. (2005). A comprehensive atlas of Ukraine. Kyiv: DNVP Cartographia. [in Ukrainian].
6. Galetsky L. (2001). Geology and minerals of Ukraine. Atlas. Kyiv: SE Taki spravy. [in Ukrainian].
7. Geography of Claudius Ptolemy: acumen.lib.ua.edu/ #! / u0002_0000003_0000002?page = 1 [in Ukrainian].
8. Grytseliak V., Dykyi I., Rovenchak I. (2013). Atlas of Ukrainian statehood history: Ukrainian lands from ancient times to the present. Lviv: Maps and atlases. [in Ukrainian].
9. Isaiev D. (2012). Atlas Ukraine history. Kyiv: DNVP Cartographia. [in Ukrainian].
10. Kubiyovych V.M. (1937). Atlas of Ukraine and adjacent lands. Lviv. [in Ukrainian].
11. Loza Yu. (2010). Historical Atlas of Ukraine. The ancient past. Rus (Kievan state, Galicia-Volyn state). Kyiv: Mapa. [in Ukrainian].
12. National Atlas of Ukraine. Sc. Ed. L.H. Rudenko. (2007). Kyiv: DNVP Cartographia. [in Ukrainian].
13. Paslavskyi T.B. (2002). The modern concept of periodization in the historical cartography of the Middle Ages and map science of Ukraine. Manuscripts and book heritage of Ukraine: Archaeological research of unique archival and library funds, 7 , 120 - 130. [in Ukrainian].
14. Rudenko L.H.(1970). Problems of mapping the population in the UkrSSR. The Second Congress of the Geographical Society of UkrSSR, Lviv, 1-5 June 1970. Theses. Kyiv: Naukova dumka. [in Ukrainian].
15. Sossa R.I. (2007). The history of Ukraine mapping. Kyiv: Lybid. [in Ukrainian].
16. The ancient topographical maps and atlases of the Russian Empire: kartolog.ru [in Russian].