Coudroy de Lille Lydia - Université de Lyon, CNRS, Université Lumière Lyon 2, EVS, UMR5600, F-69007, France;
Albert Alexandre - Université de Lyon, CNRS, Université Lumière Lyon 2, EVS, UMR5600, F-69007, France.
The purpose of the paper is to reveal the directions of internationalization for European metropolises on the example of Lyon. Lyon is a middle size metropolis, the second urban area in France, and is located in a country whose territory is known as being historically highly centralized. In this context, what strategy of internationalization was undertaken by the city of Lyon? First, the paper defines what is Lyon as regards the different definitions of city used in French (urban municipality, agglomeration, metropolitan area, etc.) and sets its position and its ranking on a European and on a national scale. The article presents the economical and functional features of internationalization of the city (industry, transports). But Lyon has been also providing a strong strategy of internationalization through culture and tourism since the end of the XXth Century. Both economical and cultural internationalization are supported by the efforts of local associations devoted to the promotion of the city abroad. Lyon has especially been much involved in the creation and the animation of networks of cities in Europe (Eurocities). In the years 2010, Lyon has been promoting its image through ambitious projects of urbanism, mainly the Confluence district, which aims to make of Lyon a “smart city”.
internationalization, metropolis, Lyon, France
1. Bonneville M. (1997). Lyon. Métropole régionale ou euro-cité? Paris: Anthropos (Collection Villes).
2. Boyer J.-Cl., Carroué L., Gras J., Le Fur A., Montagné-Vilette S. (2009). La France. Les 26 régions. Paris: Armand Colin (Collec-tion U).
3. Deleuil J.-M. (1994). Lyon la nuit. Lieux, pratiques et images. Lyon: Presses Universitaires de Lyon (Collection Transversales).
4. Lyon ville internationale. La métropole lyonnaise à l'assaut de la scène internationale, 1914-2013 (2013). dir. de R.Payre. Lyon: Libel.
5. Lyon. La production de la ville (2009). dir. de P.Boino. Paris: Parenthèses (Collection La ville en train de se faire).
6. Polère C. (2014). De la COURLY au Grand Lyon. Lyon: Editions Lieux Dits.